Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Newport Beach, CA - Pacific Ocean Baptism

Newport Beach, CA was an amazing place to run. No, I unfortunately didn't take this picture but I did run on that pier. I don't blog about most of the places I run, I always intend on doing that but somehow I just never have the time.

I ran on Monday night and Tuesday morning. I ran down the Pacific Coast Highway (PCH) and Balboa street. It was so nice to be able to run along side the beach in December. I got to the water and stopped for a moment to watch some surfers and take in the scenery. Then it occurred to me that the life of my shoes was nearing an end. I have put over 500 miles on them and although they have served me well it was time to trade them in for a new shoe. These particular shoes have taken me many places and traveled with me no matter where I went. It's a little sad, when I think of all the places I have taken my Saucony hurricane X shoes Salt Lake City, San Francisco, Seattle, Portland, Reno, Dallas, Flint, Las Vegas and Anchorage.

Being attached to these shoes I wanted to do something memorable, I decided to honor my shoes in their final days. A burial at sea sounds romantic but in practicality it just seemed like littering. So I decided on a baptism in the Pacific Ocean, I dipped my shoes (soaking my feet with salty water) and completed my run in honor of all the hard work and pounding these shoes have taken. I ran home reflecting on the times I have had while running on these shoes. In Reno when I had to jump over homeless people sleeping on public sidewalks in the early morning; In Anchorage running onto restricted areas of the Anchorage airport; The SeaFair 5k PR, and Portland Marathon PR; The beauty of running on the crowded Embarcadaro street in San Francisco to the 101 degree sun of Medford Oregon. It has been one amazing event after another. I can only hope that I can have the same experiences in my next pair of shoes as I have had in these ones. Next week, Boston :)

No comments: